Old August 26th 05, 03:09 AM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

First off asking for a CW only segment is not all that
far fetched.

It's actually a very good idea.

I have
been trying to work on 40 cw ever since the ARRL came
out with the latest
"gentleman's agreement" of allowing digital to operate within
the CW ranges.

?? I'm not sure what you mean, Dan.

For decades it's been legal to operate "digital modes" (RTTY, PSK31,
etc.) everywhere in the non-voice parts of the HF ham bands. Including 40 meters.

I dunno which gentleman's agreement you mean, but the ARRL
"regulation by bandwidth" proposal is just that - a
proposal, nothing more. Needs more work IMHO.

Total failure.

Well, I just worked a K4 station not far from you. Nice QSO. Neither of
us had high power or big antennas, but we did fine. 7037 kHz. Morse Code, of course.

btw, there were many Morse Code signals on 40 between 7000
and 7050 -
and it's not even dark out yet.

So why should I expect anything better?

Well, I hope for the best.

See you in 40, Dan.

Tell you what Jim, listen during a RTTY contest weekend.
Like when the
NAQP CW is on this winter season.

That's a different story.

It is just an example of what it will be like with massive
digital action.
Just watch and see.

All the more reason to have a reasonable Morse Code only subband. Say
7000 to 7050.

There are no more gentlemen Jim.

Sure there are! But it only takes a few bad apples to
make a mess.

Take away their ability to recognize CW as
a real communication method and you will have chaos. This is what I'm referring to.

Then the thing to do is to get a place for Morse Code.

There's plenty of precedent for this sort of thing. There are sidewalks
for pedestrians, bike lanes, etc. There are large parts of state and
national parks and wilderness areas where motor vehicles are not
allowed.

Some will say "but it's 'just a hobby'". Well, camping and backpacking
are 'just a hobby' for most people - yet there
are plenty of spaces left in a natural state and protected
for those "hobbyists". Why not for Morse Code?

73 de Jim, N2EY