Old August 28th 05, 02:58 AM
Jim Hampton

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Nobody ever claimed that it is a dead mode. Model Ts aren't dead.
Tailwheel airplanes aren't dead. Neither is CW.

However, the driver's license test doesn't include hand-cranking Model T
engines, nor does the airplane certificate test include 3-point landings

in
tailwheel airplanes. Why hang on to an obsolete technology on the EXAM

for
those who choose not to participate in the obsolete mode?

Moreover, there aren't special lanes on the road for Model Ts, nor are

there
special runways for tailwheel airplanes. Why are there special segments

of
the band for CW. Makes no sense to me.

Jim

Well, that sounds like a good deal (eliminate the cw only bands) for the
no-codes, but it would end up a very *good* deal for the cw enthusiasts.
Believe me, ssb would get clobbered from one end to the other by cw stations
simply because of the wide spectrum that ssb occupies (compared to cw, that
is). I have a feeling that if the cw bands were eliminated, a lot of phone
folks would be screaming to bring them back. I'm not sure, but based upon
my 75 watts being able to cut through a kilowatt station trying to clobber
me and another station ..... both of us maintained a solid qso for half an
hour at 35 to 45 words per minute cw whilst Mike, W2OY, was trying to jam us
with a kilowatt of am. Didn't work then and I doubt it would work now.
You're talking a 6 kHz wide am signal vs cw signals needing only a couple
hundred of Hertz. You're talking at least a 14 dB or so advantage for the
cw based upon bandwidth of the receiver.

For the protection of the phone stations, I believe you will want to keep
the cw bands intact.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA