Old August 28th 05, 03:10 AM
John Smith

Jim:

Strange how you place everyone who disagrees with you in a "wannabe"
category. I have always been "commandline material." As we speak right
now, I am compiling my linux 2.4.20 (yes, I should get the new 2.6.9x
kernel.) In windows xp I drop to the command line to move files, program
(in the old borlandbuilder c++ commandline compiler) my "personal stuff",
etc...

However, the commandline is dead, I know it, there is nothing you can do
at the commandline which cannot be done in gui, launchers and installers
do exist... in the future there will be no commandline, I just have a
religious devotion to the commandline--if I followed that in my
employment--I would soon be unemployed--like it or not the gui does make
me more productive... still, once in awhile, I can come up with an excuse
to use it... in my personal life, I will probably die using the
commandline, some who follow after me will only know it from books... so
it is with CW... the brave men call the truth for what it is, the
cowards still just die a thousand deaths, and look pitiful as they snivel...

John

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:48:11 +0000, Jim Hampton wrote:

Hello, John

One thing that I hadn't thought of is Windows and Linux/Unix. Just wait
until the unthinkable happens and you get dropped into the command line
interface. Then you either know what you are doing and start typing, or you
drop in the bootable cdrom, reboot, reformat, and start over.

Been there, worn that t-shirt LOL.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
Jim:

Yes, I thought "typing by touch" was a given, I thought it a waste of time
in mentioning to anyone using a keyboard...

However, once it is necessary to present the blind with text-to-speech it
is only obvious they can make excellent use of speech-to-text--especially
since the text is usually spelled back to them for checking...

We used to have a blind coder at a kernel driver shop I worked for, that
was ten years ago, and he was using the both engines... I don't even have
a concept of how far all that has advanced in a decade.

But, I take it for granted, the only reason I am still using a keyboard is
because of my religious devotion to it... on IRC chat I come into contact
with those using the speech-to-text engines (many blind/disabled use
IRC for social contact)--if they did not make me aware, I would only
believe they were faster typists than myself...

John