Old August 28th 05, 04:49 PM
krackula

the pro-34 has held a little higher resale value ( than other
similar scanners ) due to it's ability to listen to the cellular
band.

if I were you I'd try to sell it on ebay, while the value is still
holding , because in less than 18 months the analog cellular
band will no longer exist. the FCC has decided to ' kill "
analog use of the 800 mhz cell band , by no longer requiring
providers to maintain services for the nearly non existent
remaining analog cellfones. after the cell band dies totally
( it's already nearly dead most places ) , " all " new scanners
will most probably begin to cover that range of freqs again.
( because eavesdropping on cell calls will no longer be possible )
the near future value of that scanner is likely to decrease
dramatically. I say " sell it on ebay " , because the sale can
reach customers where the analog band is still active ( south
america , some pacific rim areas ) and because selling here in the NG
would most likely be futile since people here are aware that it will
soon become nearly valueless.

k..

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:21:08 -0500, "Buzzygirl"
wrote:

I was just given a Pro-34 scanner by a friend who bought it some years back
to monitor airband frequencies (he's a pilot), but then he got a dedicated
airband transceiver shortly after purchasing the Pro-34. So he put the
scanner away; he said he used it for a total of less than two hours. It
appears brand new, there's no dust on it, but there is no AC adapter or
manual (I found an operating guide online). I already have a couple of
scanners, but I said I would take it anyway.

I turned in on last night and programmed a few local frequencies into it. It
worked great, even with the stock antenna. I replaced that with a Diamond
RH77CA antenna, which pulls in signals much better. I was pretty impressed
by its sound and sensitivity. It's bigger than anything I currently own, but
still not too ungainly for a portable scanner.

So, my questions: has anybody on the group ever owned of these scanners? How
did you find their performance to be? How does it compare to more current
models? I don't really need this scanner, but I don't know whether it is
even worth putting it up for sale. I noticed that several of these sold on
eBay recently for between $50-$72 US, which seems rather high to me, but I
have no idea if that price range is realistic or not.

If the consensus is that it's a good performer, I may just end up keeping
it, since we have very little trunked scanner activity in my listening area
anyway. But I need another scanner like I need un agujero en la cabeza...

Jackie