Old August 29th 05, 07:07 AM
Richard Harrison

John L. wrote:
"I am in East Anglia in the United Kingdom."

I was in Scotland a few weeks ago. I noticed many satellite dishes and
was surprised at how low the elevation angles were. Most were nearly set
horizontally. Some had dish feeds which were actually depressed below
the horizontal. I concluded that their vertical beamwidts were deep
enough to work anyway. I assumed that the users actually were getting a
picture. I suspect that in Edinburg, you can start by setting the
vertical angle with a carpenter`s level. It works that way with most
terrestrial microwaves. In East Anglia, I suppose you are farther south
and need some vertical elevation angle on your dish, but not much.

You can get your bearings with a fix on the north star, some accurate
maps, and information on where the bird is parked in orbit.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI