Old August 30th 05, 09:43 PM
Wes Stewart

On 30 Aug 2005 13:05:56 -0700, "CD" wrote:

Hey all,

I've been browsing around looking at AM / FM transmitters and I keep
bumping into exciters. I'm curious. What is the difference between
exciters and transmitters?

I'm new to broadcasting, so I'm still getting used to the lingo.

Well, this is a ham radio group and we don't "broadcast", we transmit
to at most a few individuals at a time.

"Exciters" are transmitters that are usually used to "excite" a
following amplifier. Because many (most) amateur power amplifiers of
the day require tens to maybe 100 Watts input to deliver rated output,
an exciter might well be a 100 W transmitter.