Old August 31st 05, 01:41 AM
Tam/WB2TT

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Why do you need one on 80? The reality is if you can hear the other guy,
he
can hear you. Now if your ego requires that you have to be the first one
in
the pile to break through, then I guess you need a big amplifier.

Depends. I have had 30 - 45 minute QSOs with EU stations while running
barefoot on 75. On the other hand, when I check into a local net, I run the
amp at 1/2 power, about 600W. There is one person on the net who does not
run an amp. Some weeks I only copy him 10 - 50 %. Others have the same
experience. These people are all within about 50 miles from me.

QST tested the Ameritron SS amp, and liked it. They also like the switching
power supply, which costs extra. I believe the linear supply is choke input,
unregulated. These are 48V supplies.

Tam/WB2TT