Old August 31st 05, 03:01 AM
Crazy George

Broadcast stations are licensed at various power levels, and indeed, AM stations typically (except clear channel) change
power at sunrise and sunset. FM stations are also licensed at various powers, where the antenna height above average
terrain and antenna gain also enter into the radiated power equation. So manufacturers design an exciter which provides
a set of features desired by some large segment of their target customers, and with that a series of amplifies of
different power levels to meet the license parameters.

--
Crazy George
The attglobal.net address is a SPAM trap. Please change that part to: attdotbiz properly formatted.
"CD" wrote in message oups.com...
Hey all,

I've been browsing around looking at AM / FM transmitters and I keep
bumping into exciters. I'm curious. What is the difference between
exciters and transmitters?

I'm new to broadcasting, so I'm still getting used to the lingo.

Thanks!