Old August 31st 05, 11:50 PM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Sohl wrote:

[snip]

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

You know, I'd object to a ham trying to read charts and bandplans while they
are driving. It's just as bad as reading a newspaper or trying to shave.
So I say yes they should at least be required to know from memory where at
least the regulations allow them to be.

The read the chart/bandplan concept has the underlying assumption that one
will be operating from a fixed location with access to reference materials.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE