Old September 1st 05, 01:43 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
BEGIN QUOTE
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

K=D8HB wrote:

cut
No. With the dropping of Element 1, code testing can now be self taug=

ht.
Get on the air, and find someone who will QSO wit ya. And no anyhow.

With the dropping of the code testing, it will be even more important to
have the code practice transmissions. There will be fewer Elmers
available
to teach those wish to learn.

What? is there a part of the NPRM I missed like carting off the Code
users to some kind of death camp?

The ending of code testing will not reduce the number of code using
hams.

Time may do that though the actions of the grim reaper and the failure
of Code users to recruit others to replace them, but I doubt that will
kill CW USE or learning of the mode

Further with computers and programs in existance today any one that
wishes to make the attempt to learn Morse Code has the tools to do so

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

END QUOTE

We could easily become short of code elmers as I know a number of people =

who
taught it only out of a sense of duty to the incoming amateurs.

Well again this says a lot about the mode if it is truely that
vulernable

But when the student is ready the teacher will appear.

There will of course be people who continue to learn it and use it.

However what we will lose are those people who choose to never try it but
would like it if they did. Some will fall prey to the "obsolete" argumen=

t=2E
Others will think that it is "too hard" and so on.

and you will stop losing those that are put off by by having to learn
it, but the ARS is not a Morse Code welfare system, it never should
have been but it certainly ends here

Morse Code will simply have to compete on a level feild rather than one
in which it has built advantage

=20
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE