Old September 1st 05, 01:45 AM
an_old_friend

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Sohl wrote:

[snip]

I actually agree that memorizing band edges is a waste. Far
better to have a schart of the bands, beand edges and
permitted uses and then ask questions which have the
test taker use the chart as a resourse to answer questions.
Band edges are dynamic and change over time.

Better yet, a chart that shows the regs *and* a chart that
shows the current bandplan. ('Bandplan' meaning current
recommendations, not regulations). It's done for RF exposure
already.

You know, I'd object to a ham trying to read charts and bandplans while they
are driving. It's just as bad as reading a newspaper or trying to shave.
So I say yes they should at least be required to know from memory where at
least the regulations allow them to be.

why when they can program there rigs to know it in many cases

The read the chart/bandplan concept has the underlying assumption that one
will be operating from a fixed location with access to reference materials.

You are simply wrong there nothing about a fixed location is assumed
that one prepares for operation is assumed

Most hams would assume the would carry a log book with them and the rig
so a page or 5 is charts

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE