Old September 1st 05, 12:03 PM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On 31 Aug 2005 15:16:45 -0700, wrote in
K4YZ wrote:
Frank of Silliland wrote:
On 29 Aug 2005 08:01:26 -0700, "K4YZ" wrote in

Gotta hurt, though...I am sure that, for a couple of days, it felt
"good" taking some swipes at someone who managed to accomplish
something you DIDN'T in the Marines...make it to a Staff NCO rank.

Two promotions in 15 years as a staff NCO, selected by cutting scores
that were never used, and granted with promotion certificates you
can't read. Yeah, you sure made your case, Dudly.

Hey screwball...

Huh??? Is RE-4YZ calling someone else a nut? Hi!

WHERE did I say SNCO ranks were selected by cutting
scores...?!?!

SNCO's never were...

Then you should have corrected it the first time Frank called you on
it. Instead you go through this, "no they weren't, yes they were, no
they weren't,..." nonsense that you're so famous for. You're just not
believable.

But LPCL through Sergeant were! PFC was almost automatic unless
you picked your nose in morning formation.

"no they weren't, yes they were, no they weren't,..."

You're such an idiot.

Steve, K4YZ

Hi!

One of the distinctions of the USMC, and something they pride
themselves on, is that they don't use the same type of promotion
system as the other services. No tests, no "cutting scores", etc.
Promotions are -earned-, not handed out like pay raises. If you do
above-average work and you get promoted more quickly than the average.
Perform poorly and you don't get promoted at all. That's the way it is
and that's the way it's always been.

There's always favoritism (or unfavoritism) in such a system. Probably
how your light duty chit got tossed in a drawer. The promotion system
used for E5-E7 enlisted in the Air Force, the Weighted Airman Promotion
System (WAPS) includes points for performance reports, military
knowledge texts, skill knowledge tests, awards and decorations, time in
service, and time in grade. The "supergrades" of E-8 and E-9 include a
board, and aything less than a General level endorsement usually means
that you are out of the running.

Back to E5-E7. A disagreeable supervisor and/or commander can affect
your performance report points and your decoration points (new
decorations only). But an individual can overcome those through better
military and job knowledge. Or they can allow TIG and TIS to overcome,
but who's got time for that?

There is another promotion means outside of WAPS that is meant to
correct for an individual who has been passed over, usually for an
inability to do well on tests, but is an exceptional performer
otherwise. These promotions are rare, and occur at the commander's
discretion.

Oh yeah, and Marines always refer to their rank, not their pay-grade.
If you hear a "Marine" say he was an E-7 then he wasn't a Marine.

That has been true for all the marines that I've known have (except the
imposter). Then I have to go to the look-up table and figure out what
they really are. ;^)