Old September 1st 05, 05:24 PM
Alan Dye

Default Ideal computer / scanner combination?

I've been looking to setup the ideal computer/software/scanner combo
here in my shack to ferret out what frequencies are actively in use in
my area based on Percon's data from the FCC. Seems a lot of people
license frequencies, and then don't use them a lot.

Based on my analysis, there should be nearly 3,000 active frequencies in
my reception area -- a tiny corner on the south edge of San Francisco
and San Mateo counties near the coast -- but inital programming of
several hundred into my 785D shows limited use.

I'd like to use the computer to control the scanner and collect hits and
record the audio of certain channels so I can review the results in my
limited hobby time in the evenings after work.

I've been using a laptop with XP, Scancat Gold/SE and a Bearcat 785D,
but it's been rough going, mostly due to the software. Scancat comes
highly recommended, but the interface for importing is quirky and
difficult, and the manual is impossible. The software seems to have
been originally designed for something else. The trunking capture
module is useable, and I do use it to collect talkgroup activity on the
SF DECS Trunked system, but for conventional use it is unpleasant at best.

It might be a combination of the radio and the scanner.

What would be the best combination of hardware (scanner) and software to
monitor and eavesdrop on both conventional and trunked scanning and
collect both hits and audio?

Alan

p.s. also any recommendations on process, how you'd go about covering
all 3000 frequencies in the shortest period of time while maintaining
the maximum amount of information collection.