Old September 1st 05, 08:08 PM
Southern Kiwi

Alan Dye wrote:
I've been looking to setup the ideal computer/software/scanner combo
here in my shack to ferret out what frequencies are actively in use in
my area based on Percon's data from the FCC. I'd like to use the computer
to control the scanner and collect hits
and record the audio of certain channels so I can review the results
in my limited hobby time in the evenings after work.
It might be a combination of the radio and the scanner.

What would be the best combination of hardware (scanner) and software
to monitor and eavesdrop on both conventional and trunked scanning
and collect both hits and audio?

Alan

Hi Alan, I have the same rig as you.
I program the 785D to autostore freqs from a search range into a "clean"
bank while I'm away at work.
When I get back I then set it scannng those found freqs. I use ARC250pro for
laptop control and upload the new freqs.
I set it to log and record all conversations in my fresh bank ( I usually do
this then go off to work or where ever for at least 7 - 8 hours to ensure a
good sample of conversation)
When I finally sit down to listen, I have a days worth of conversation that
I can listen to in about half an hour, and figure out who belongs where, (or
use a freq database if they are still obscure) log those details to
ARC250pro then download all the new information to the scanner.
As there are no trunked set up here I have not dealt with that side.

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...