Old September 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
Dave

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
news
Dave wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

KØHB wrote:

"Michael Coslo" wrote

Since it seems that I am hopelessly confused between control signals
and broadcasts, could some of the more knowledgeable hams give me a
little primer on how K1MAN broadcasts are the same thing as sending a
control signal to a repeater?

Both are "one-way" transmissions in the amateur bands.

What does the one way transmission to the repeater do? Is it just
something that is done for fun, or "information" or is it something else?
What about a signal to say, turn on a stray elimination filter? Is that
just for sending out a signal, or is that signal made in order to improve
the communications that the repeater handles? Are the signal tones that I
send to activate the autopatch one way transmissions?

We seem to be very close to arguing that the subaudible tones, which are
used to get me into some repeaters in the first place, are one way
transmissions.

Or like the cute post about how if no one answers my CQ, I am making a
broadcast.

no, a cq may be a one way transmission, but it is not a broadcast... a
review of the basics is in order i think.

definition in 97.3(a)
(10) Broadcasting. Transmissions intended for reception by the general
public, either direct or relayed.

from operating standards in 97.111

(b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized
elsewhere in this Part, an amateur station may transmit the following
types of one-way communications:

(1) Brief transmissions necessary to make adjustments to the station;
(2) Brief transmissions necessary to establishing two-way
communications with other stations;

(3) Telecommand;

(4) Transmissions necessary to providing emergency communications;

(5) Transmissions necessary to assisting persons learning, or improving
proficiency in, the international Morse code;

(6) Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins;

(7) Transmissions of telemetry.

so, to totally ban one-way transmissions you would have to stop all these
specifically permitted types of one-way transmissions. it is interesting
to note the definition of broadcasting specifically aims the transmission
at the general public... and the paragraphs that talk about transmitting
information bulletins or code practice do not use the word broadcasting,
they call it transmissions or transmitting.

I'm reformed now, Dave. The more one way broadcasts, the better. I was so
wrong in my opinion before.

no, we don't want any 'broadcasts', however, one way 'transmissions' under
the right conditions are perfectly acceptable.