Old September 3rd 05, 07:56 PM

From: on Fri 2 Sep 2005 22:04

Michael Coslo wrote:
John Smith wrote:
K0HB:

Yes, I have read a couple of books on the subject--most
of the authors
strike me as being rather weak in math and especially
in the area of
probability and statistics--quite possibly
lotus-blossom-eaters.

For some it is easier to attack the thinker than
to disprove the idea....

...such as all PCTA attacking any non-PCTA.

It certainly is a lot easier to say "God makes it so, so it is"

The hard part is defining what is meant by "God"...

The PCTA merely have to say THEY are "God" in regards
to the code test issue...and so it is...

At times like this, it's important to recall the
Unnamed Law:

"If it happens, it must be possible"

The morse code test has always been a part of amateur radio
license examinations and so it must continue to be possible
(forever and to the end of time, whichever comes first).

What's really missing in those statements is imagination.

What's really missing in the PCTA arguments is their imagination
in considering that morse code mode is archaic, slow, and not
used by any other radio service in the USA.

Look at your PC or Mac. Then look at pictures of ENIAC (or actually go
see it, as I have done...)

Could anyone imagine that today's PCs are the direct descendants
of that machine? Yet they are, after just 60 years

Can anyone imagine that morse code is "the most effectual mode
in radio communications and MUST be tested of every radio
amateur for licensing" even after all other radio services have
stopped using morse code for communications?

Can anyone imagine that today's amateur radio transceivers are
direct descendants of the 1912 spark-gap transmitter and crystal
set receivers of 1912?

Can anyone imagine? [not the PCTA]

A genuine miracle. Simple, and allowing of no argument.

Is not life-as-we-know-it a genuine miracle, regardless of
how it came about?

Is morse code a "genuine miracle, regardless of how it came
about [for wired communications]?"

Of course it is...Bless the Miracles and worship them forever
by continuing the code test.

Science is the how
God is the why

Morse code is the WAY.

Some forms of life have senses we don't - like migratory birds that can
sense the earth's magnetism.

...or the PCTA.

They're also the end product of a long series of small developments.

For the PCTA, all development in radio communications ceased
on turning the carrier on and off.

I doubt that anyone on this planet really knows. We're just at
the beginning in so many ways. Consider how recently things like
infectious disease, vaccines and basic metabolism were understood.
And yet some people think they are qualified to say what is "too
complex"? That's almost funny.

PCTA seem united on saying that machine decoding of on-off
carrier keying is "too complex." It MUST be done ONLY by human
abilities...so the government MUST TEST for that ability.

That's almost funny. Except it is tragic, closed-minded.

One more thing is unknown: Is the biology we know the only one
possible, or are there many possibilities, and Earth just has one of
them?

In the radio world we know MANY possible modes of communication.
Morse code is just one of them.

But the PCTA insist that only the "true way" (morse code) must
forever be tested.

bip bip