Old September 3rd 05, 06:42 PM
Michael Lawson

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
news:CK2Se.7431$UI.3448@okepread05...

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

because they don't know what they have.

You've got it. I live in a medium sized city and am retired so time

isn't a
problem and I probably hit 20 sales and find nothing but there is

gold at
the 21'st. In the last four or five years these are some of the

items I can
recall picking up at estate sales. McKay Dymek DA 5 $10, National

NC140 $1,
Sony 7600a $5, DX 380 $8, Sony 2001 $15, DX 394 $30, DX160 $10, MFJ

949
tuner $5, GE Super 1 $2, B&K 1801 freq counter $10, Simpson 260 $5,

Mantis
tiller (looked like it was used once or twice) $30, Delta 16' scroll

saw
(still in box) $30.

I know the above sounds like a fairy tale but it's the gospel. There

is not
a dog in the above, I did have to use the deoxit on the DX160 but it

looked
like someone used it for a year or two and put it in storage, there

was not
a scratch or blemish on it. RM~

PS, Most of the above came from non-professional ran estate sales,

most of
the pro's price things plumb out of sight but every once in awhile

they slip
up.

I think you guys are right about what can be found.
We ended up at 7 yard sales (one was a street sale,
so 4 in one fell swoop), and I found a few interesting
items in the others, but the last one I scored a PRO-2035,
a couple of CB radios (one with SSB) and a Sony ICF-9650
AM/FM radio for $40 total. The Sony needs a little
work on the board, and I need to scrounge up some stuff
(like an antenna) to get the CBs operational, but in general,
I could have done worse. They were asking $20 for a pair
of Optimus Pro-7's, but I really didn't need one at the time.

No shortwave radios, but I'm sure that I'll survive.
When I finally get the Sony fixed, I'll probably give
it to my son (4 yo) and put it in his room, so he has
some music in there. As long as he doesn't decide
to play with the power cord....

--Mike L.