Old September 4th 05, 12:28 AM
Jerry

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2 wrote:

Of course, I live down in XE land, so we have abundant cheap gasoline
(US $2.15 at current exchange rates) and I have three grocery stores
within a five minute walk of my house.

Jerry

Good for you. The closest grocery to my house isa couple miles away.
It is down a busy highway with no place to walk, and I have to use a
cane so walking to the grocery is out of the question. Because of this
I try to arrange to stop at the grocery when I have to leave the house
for another reason.

As I always say, "We all have our bears to cross!" ;-)

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Indeed, there are not so drastic measures consumers can take. Of course,
when the price of a commodity rises beyond the price the public as a whole
is willing to pay, then the demand falls with an often matching fall in the
price. If we just stop in our harried schedule to think, "Wait a sec. Is
THIS trip really necessary?" Or, "Can I combine this with an other errand
tomorrow". If we made a conscious effort and goal of saving ONE gallon a
week in our own driving, how much would that impact the demand for fuel?
One gallon--even two--for every vehicle in the USA saved. How about a more
ambitious goal? One gallon per DAY=5 gals per workweek X how many drivers on
the road at a time = what? Of COURSE, there are trips and business that must
be made/done. OTH, how many times do you just hop in the car without a
second thought to run down to the Radio Shack and pass the SAME store the
next day going to the grocery store? How about slowing down to 55-60
instead of 70 per?
How many Escalades do we see each day with ONE person when we could carpool
to work (some DO carpool but there are untold numbers that "prefer" to have
their car to themselves Heck, I press in the clutch on my little truck and
coast down long hills often maintaining 55 while the engine is idling at 600
RPM; at steady state, the engine is at 1700 @ 55, 2100 @ 70. If I don't just
HAVE to go, I will just stay at home, piddle in my shop and watch TV. We
ALL have to do a little to prevent the profiteers from taking advantage of
our spoiled habits of yore. I KNEW "them" Surburbans" would come back to
bite us eventually!!