Old September 4th 05, 03:47 PM
Scott Dorsey

VOA SWLer wrote:
A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck.

He says he gets 25 to 27+ mpg on the highway (about 10% less than diesel fuel),
vegetable oil provides better lubrication for the fuel injectors than diesel
fuel and it doesn't stink of diesel. He says the diesel engine exhaust smells
like McDonald's french fries.

It's acidic enough that it will eventually corrode the fuel injectors
if he does this for too long without adding some buffering or cutting it
with diesel. But that should be fine to get us through the current
shortage.

Likewise my local paint store is selling VM&P naptha for around $2/gal.
A gasoline engine won't run on it alone terribly well, but you can cut
gasoline with it without any harm. (Admittedly I say this as a guy
with a car that predates catalytic converters).

Hmm... what are alcohol prices slike?
--scott