Old September 5th 05, 02:04 AM
an_old_friend

Mike Coslo wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

N9OGL wrote:

From the FCC Rule Book: Complete Guide to the FCC Regulations Governing
Amateur Radio; edited by Norm Bliss,WA1CCQ, Published by the ARRL

Chapter 4, Page 4-2 Direct and Indirect Payment

"You must never accept any money or other consideration for operating
your station [97.113(a)(2)]. this is consistent with one of the prime
directives of our serice:

Specifically:

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or
indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules;

Never? Who said "never"?

the ARRL said so

Then they are incorrect. Reading part 97, which shows specific
instances when compensation is allowable is right there in the rules.

well if they are incorrect there and they may be then they being very
strange in endorsing it now

cut

"Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service
to the public as a voluntary, noncommercial communication service,
particularly with respect providing emergency communication" (emphasis
added) [97.1(a)]

Of course.

If you club is providing communications support to the town of Needham
for a parade, you cannot accept their offer of payment for your work.
You are volunteers, providing a community service on a non-commercial
basis, period

No money should ever change hands.

You should never accept anything for your Amateur Radio operating.
The FCC prohibits operation of an amateur station "for hire, or
material compensation, direct or indirect, paid or promised"
[97.113(a)(2)] This includes direct payment (money, goods, food, and so
on) and indirect payment (publicity, advertising, and so on)."

What if one of the people in that parade gives you a ride home? We get

techinaly yes

thank you letters all the time, and mentioned in these groups
newsletters. Is this in violation?

not if we don't ask for them

What you are trying to do is hyper-interpret the rules. They aren't
made for what you are trying to do. They are made to keep people from
being paid for their volunteer work. This means money or goods changing
hands. It means advertising your business through your radio activities.
It doesn't mean me using my own vehicle and gas to get around the parade
in 100 degree heat, and getting a bottle of water from them.

I agree the rules are made for this occasion like many other rules in
DHS, FEMA, etc many rules are showing just how out of touch the planing
of the goverment is with needs of the people

I find it suspious that the ARRL is taking part in this when they have
published and pusshed the opinion that this ilegal for years

I can remeber the Former Central Divison Director (can't remeber his
name but he was from Springfield IL lecutureing some of us on the
repeater when we were discussing this subject, and then showing up at
the Ham club meeting to make sure we understood that that even that
soda is techicaly illegal

Major flip flop

But I can see it now.......

Dave works out of band French Amateurs, and I accepted a bottle of
water at a public service event. 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

- Mike KB3EIA -