Old September 5th 05, 03:06 AM
Telamon

In article .com,
wrote:

John:

Thanks for your interesting comments re SW. I wish I could be as
optimistic, and at the same time I'm not sure there is any reason to
"wish" that SW continue.

As a near 30 year news correspondent for Voice of America, as well as
a near 40 year SWL, I can tell you that SW is definitely not long for
this world.

This has been covered by others on this discussion group in the past,
but there is no longer much incentive for anyone to use shortwave,
except for the few broadcasters in Latin America who still do it in
remote regions of Peru and similar places.

Major broadcasters may still be found on the air (ironically, and in
a statement that reflects very closely the state of affairs on the
international stage, the major broadcasters that are left are China
which has been seeking to expand its influence to overcome the U.S.,
and Cuba -- which appears to be clueless). You also have the bizarre
ones, such as Croatia, and Czech Republic, who still think there is a
reason to do so.

Snip

Yes and it has been pointed out that:

1. Internet connection equipment can break.
2. The Internet is overloaded anytime a big event occurs.
3. It can be turned off or information sources cut off or limited.
4. You have to be at a connection and a computer not just anywhere.
5. Satellites can fail or be turned off.
6. Satellite links are disrupted by the sun similar to SW.

Every communication solution has its problems. Short wave is the
hardest medium to control who can broadcast and who can listen to it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California