Old September 6th 05, 02:03 AM
COLIN LAMB

Although the SX-101A has a product detector and is the latest version, it
does not cover 160 meters. I think the SX-101 Mark IIIA is more desirable.

Not sure what the price is in Europe, but I think an SX-101A would have to
be in almost new condition to be worth $350. You said perfect condition and
that may carry the day.

The SX-101 series was dated when it comes to stability and frequency readout
on 10 and 15 meters. I had hum modulation on mine (in the 60's) and worked
a lot of 10 meters. Also, when the electric heater came on in my shack, the
receiver drifted. I installed a separate regulated dc for the oscillator
filament and it solved the problems. Left it on all the time.

But, the readout was still not very good. I got a Drake 2B, which was small
and did not match all of my big transmitters, but it worked like a champ.

73, Colin K7FM