Old September 6th 05, 12:51 AM
Mike Coslo

snip

OTOH, the mistakes of one generation (like pollution) *can*
affect following generations. (Why the heck did anyone
ever decide to build a major city on ground that is *below*
sea level and right next to three major bodies of water? And
in a hurricane zone?!)

It must be remembered that New Orleans has been sinking at the rate of
3 feet per century. This has been accelerated due to the deterioration
of the Mississippi Delta.

When the city was founded, it was a low lying coastal city, just like
most coastal cities. At that time, there was plenty of Delta, and it
looked like a fine place to build a port city.

Over the years, as the geology changed, it was not at such as fast rate
that relocation seemed necessary. Then as we learned more, we found out
that essentially the city was doomed.

More on that in my reply to Brian upcoming.

- Mike KB3EIA -