Old September 7th 05, 12:19 AM

From: on Mon 5 Sep 2005 15:13

Dave Heil wrote:
From:
on Fri 2 Sep 2005 06:09
Dave Heil wrote:

It must be close to a decade since Heil ceased being a paid
worker in the "foreign service" of the Department of State.
Absolutely NO evidence has been presented of his having learned
ANY diplomacy there.

There you go, Brian. Len's made another factual error. It won't be
five years until the end of this year.

Fair enough. Should I call him a liar at this point? Do I threaten
bricks through windows, slashed tires, terrorized wives? Maybe I need
to start a new thread about how Len might be homosexual or an idiot or
both?

Absolutely! Shout "Liar! Liar!" in here every chance you get,
charge that my pants are on fire (or 'fiar')!!!

"FACTUAL ERROR!" "FACTUAL ERROR!" :-)

Davie's Dossier has ALL the FACTS in it and ALL MUST KNOW THE
EXACT DETAILS IN IT...and never, ever remark anything FACTUALLY
WRONG ABOUT IT!!!! :-)

...okay, just where IS that dossier where we are all supposed to
KNOW ALL THE DETAILS of the Hero Diplomat from Foggy Bottom?

Do I need to do anything?

Yes, Brian, you must sound the Hue and Cry!

Death to the Infidels who dare challenge the Defenders of the
True Faith in amateur radio, the Faithful of the Church of
St. Hiram!

As to learning "ANY diplomacy",
there is never an instance where an ambassador calls a communications
type and says, "We've just received news from Washington. I want you to
go to the Foreign Ministry and make a demarche".

And there you have it.

My Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam Co., 1961) has it -

Demarche - noun, French origin, "a course of action. especially
one involving a change in policy, as in diplomacy."

Okay, let's use "demarche" in a sentence: All de morsemen do
demarche in de ranks to de same code drumbeat.

I especially like Jim's recounting amateur radio's contributions during
WWII when there was no legal amateur radio operations in the USA. He
cracks me up.

Then there's Heil's thrilling tales of African adventures
where he "synchronized" State Department communications via
morsemanship in the 1980s...

He opened and closed rtty circuits with CW?

He surely did, but not on the same frequency as the RTTY circuit.

What frequency?

Musta bin infrequently. REAL HF communicators in the post-WW2
period didn't need to "synchronize" their TTYs. Those machines
synchronize from each other, were designed that way. If some
HF net wanted to SET UP SCHEDULES of transmission, frequencies,
etc., then they would have use ANOTHER TTY circuit, usually the
"order wire" circuit used for command and control.

Of course, with a small embassy having only one radio, it's a
bit difficult.

claiming that "radio communications
paths were so poor that they would not support teleprinter/data
modes."

He was probably doing something wrong.

Actually, I maintained the lowest QSY rate of any AFRECONE station.

Is there an award for keeping folks on frequency too long?

It might be a plaque with stylized hands and drum.

That part about claiming that propagation paths were so poor that there
were times when they wouldn't support encrypted RTTY communications? It
was absolutely true. Then again, neither you nor Len know where the
other end of my circuit was. That'll just have to remain a mystery.

I've operated on encrypted circuits as well. That we lacked enough
frequencies to operate 24/7 is true.

Sunnuvagun. I shoulda chewed out the ACAN-Starcom-DCS people for
keeping that Asmara-Manila link into USAEUR network going 24/7.
I shoulda told them they COULDN'T DO THAT! [Davie told us in
the future 30 decades afterwards!]

None of that has anything to do with amateur radio...unless one
counts the entirety of the Department of State as an "amateur"
effort of foreign policy.

Do you think has an anti-U.S. Foreign Policy bias, Brian?

I -could- pretend to not understand your question, but that would be
too heilish.

Davie is from the gubmint...he here to help!

I think that Len has an anti-Heil bias. And when you apparently deny
your professional radio experience, what are we to think? I think that
you choose to not recognize your professional radio experience because
it might get in the way of your denigrations of Len.

That sounds pretty close to what everyone has read!

"Sorry Len, State Dept. Communications IS Amateur Radio!" Hi,
hi!

You wrote it. It is your quote. Don't be surprised if you see it again.

"Hi, hi!" A joke. You're welcome to bring it up again at anytime - as
a joke.

JOKES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN A MORSEMAN GROUP!!! :-)

Tsk. In other government radio, the U.S. military has maintained
teleprinter/data networks 24/7 in equatorial regions as well as
elsewhere some THIRTY YEARS PRIOR to Heil's tale of inability to
get a State Department radio circuit working. [Asmara, Eritrea,
was the principal relay point for DCS/Starcom/ACAN linkage of
Manila, Phillipines, to Pirmasens, FRG, kept open on 24/7 basis
from 1948 to about 1978...Asmara can be considered to be in the
"equatorial region" of the African continent]

I would consider it so. But I only have a degree in Geography.

With that degree, you'd likely be able to figure that Bissau and
Freetown are across the continent from Asmara. When my old colleagues
speak of the "West African Echo" they don't include East Africa. Go
figure. I didn't work into nor did I work through Asmara. The missing
piece of the puzzle for both of you is the location of the station I
worked into. Good luck.

Ascension.

Davie has achieved ultimate beatitude and ASCENDED?!? WOW!

Tsk, tsk, tsk. All that misdirection to avoid agreement that
Eritrea is close to the equator. :-)

If anyone wants, I can reveal the TTY message header addresses
(four-letter) used by the Army -and- State Department in relaying
TTY messages. But, those were used in the 1950s and 1960s and
well before Davie demarched into dis quadrangle.

Heil is of the dictatorial view that ONLY licensed radio amateurs
are worthy of commenting/talking/discussing ANYTHING about amateur
radio...the "clubhouse" syndrome. Of course, such an attitude
would NEGATE U.S. government regulation and enforcement of amateur
radio since no Commissioner or FCC staffer is required to hold any
amateur radio license grants.

That's a dichotomy in thinking of Heil as a former employee of the
U.S. government. It's also friggin' WEIRD.

Len has discussed. Len had commented. I'm guessing that Len has
talked, though there's no evidence of it here. Len has insulted. Len
has denigrated. Len has belittled.

I agree. Has Len been insulted? denigrated? belittled?

Len has been insulted. Len has been denigrated. Len has been
belittled. :-) [it's all in Google archives!]

As to the FCC staffer schpiel, it has been previously addressed a number
of times. Len isn't an FCC staffer, nor is he a radio amateur.

Nor are most FCC staffers, even the ones dealing directly with amateur
radio.

Davie ain't IN the FCC, he's just a participant and a stray
participle trying to sentence others who don't agree with him.

Heil may have spent too much time in the basement with his radios.

Now *that* would be weird. My hamshack consists of two, adjacent second
floor rooms.

You told us you lived in a tarpaper shack.

Must be some "tarpaper" underlayment on the outside walls... :-)

Heil attempts to word-play in a puerile game of trying to be the
schoolmistress rapping the knuckles of "students" who make minor
"typographical" errors in spelling.

Dave is smug.

I certainly can be from time to time.

From time to time?

Allatime! Plus arrogant, abusive, dictatorial to all that don't
agree with him. :-)

Len used a couple of words three
or more times each. He spelled them in the same incorrect way each
time. They were not typographical errors. They were Len's spelling
errors. Did you know that Len claims to be a PROFESSIONAL writer?

Aye. You should see my son's textbooks....

WOW! All professional writers are SUPPOSED to to absolutely pure
"professional work" when they aren't getting paid? I didn't know
that!

Yes, I AM a professional writer in that I get money for work
submitted for publishing. Several periodicals know that. The
IRS knows that and the Franchise Tax Board of California knows
that from the "miscellaneous income" tax forms submitted. I
get nothing by being in here...with all the "nothing" morsemen.

Heil is welcome to contact the IRS and Franchise Tax Board to
dispute the above, but such would be wasted effort on his part.

I did not mention any Hun
who wishes to conquer any ham world, only that Heil attempts to be
a master of Hunnish language and the only "judge" on translations
of Hunnish to English.

Dave must be multi-lingual.

If the word belligerent is based in Latin, then I am. Len seems to
think it was used by Attila and his horde.

What word would attila have used?

"HEIL!" :-)

"Beware the Hun in the sun!" - old RAF fighter pilot expression.
:-)

I half expected Jimmie Noserve to come in here and write that
quote! He MUST have read of it in his renowned historical reading!

If anyone wants to learn Hunnish, they need only get a Capital One
credit card and reform an invading Hun. It's in the ads. :-)