Old September 7th 05, 03:12 PM
Tim Wescott

CD wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious about dummy loads. I read that ideally dummy loads convert
RF energy into heat, but I'm sure in the real world, there will still
be a small amount RF energy transmitted.

My friend tried using a dummy load on a 300W transmitter. He was only
running it for a few mins at the VHF range, but he was picking up a
signal 100 ft away. Is that typical?

What's your experience on dummy loads? Were you able to pick up a
signal, as well, with this type of distance?

I don't know much about dummy loads, but I think that 100ft is just a
tad bit too far, no?

Even with a perfect dummy load you'd still get some leakage from your
transmitter and cabling -- I generally expect that if I run into a dummy
load I'm going to peg the S meter of any receivers that are on-frequency
and in the room.

So picking up the signal 100ft away doesn't surprise me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services