Old September 7th 05, 06:26 PM
David G. Nagel

pinpassion wrote:
Hi Gang,

I'm building my first 6 meter vertical antenna
for repeater use. I already have a 6 meter beam
for SSB DX use. (Cushcraft 5 element)

I'm using the plans from G3JVL for a 5/8 wave
aluminum antenna. I have the tubing from Texas
Towers (extruded aluminum) designed to fit in
to each other, so this should make a perfect
antenna when I get it cut to size. For those
not familiar with the G3JVL antenna, here is
a link:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/6metervertical.html

The advice I need is how should I protect the
antenna prior to putting it on the roof? Is there
a spray I should use to resist rust, or something
I should use when I connect the sections to help
maintain a good connection and prevent oxidation?
I suppose this might have the added benefit of making
the antenna easier to disassemble.

I was planning on using stainless hardware to assemble
the sections. I was initially thinking of using a
stainless hose clamp, but I was advised to drill a hole
through the sections and use a bolt and nut as that is
more reliable.

This is my fist shot at a homebrew, so any advice is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike N2QAC

Mike;

The first advice to protect your new antenna prior to mounting it is to
insure that nothing is allowed to fall on or against it while it is in
your shop. This is very detrimental to the final look of the antenna.
;^). Seriously though being made of aluminum it will not rust. It will
lightly oxidize but this is a natural action as aluminum is very
reactive with oxygen. If you are in a salty environment you might
lightly spay paint the aluminum with either a color paint or a clear
finish otherwise you really do not have to worry about the metal. Just
be sure that your paint does not have any metal in it.
One thing you might want to consider is coating the joints between two
pieces of metal with a conductive grease. You should be able to find
that at a Radio Shack or other electrical supply house. Using a nut and
bolt to hold sections of tubing together is a very good idea, just be
careful when tightening the nut not to crush the tubing.

Good luck;

Dave WD9BDZ