Old September 7th 05, 08:44 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:12:12 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:
CD wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious about dummy loads. I read that ideally dummy loads convert
RF energy into heat, but I'm sure in the real world, there will still
be a small amount RF energy transmitted.

My friend tried using a dummy load on a 300W transmitter. He was only
running it for a few mins at the VHF range, but he was picking up a
signal 100 ft away. Is that typical?

What's your experience on dummy loads? Were you able to pick up a
signal, as well, with this type of distance?

I don't know much about dummy loads, but I think that 100ft is just a
tad bit too far, no?

Even with a perfect dummy load you'd still get some leakage from your
transmitter and cabling -- I generally expect that if I run into a dummy
load I'm going to peg the S meter of any receivers that are on-frequency
and in the room.

So picking up the signal 100ft away doesn't surprise me.

A friend of mine and I used to do 'code practice' on 40M with our rigs
cranked down to approx 20 watts each -- using Heathkit Cantennas at both
ends. S-9 sigs both ways. We were 5 blocks apart.

As well, once a week we used to (attempt to) check into a distant (180
miles) 2M SSB. While waiting for net control (and the rest of the net)
to point in our compass direction (220 degrees - approx 35 past the hour),
we'd chat back and forth - again switched into the Cantennas. And, again,
S-9+ sigs both ways.

It's more a testament to the quality of good receivers now-a-days -- than
the leakiness of a dummy load. Look over what the QRP and QRPp folks are
doing - with their "Millions of Miles Per Watt" records, and you'll
realize (if you haven't already) than you can happily 'do' amateur radio
with Not Much Watts.

73
Jonesy
--