Old September 8th 05, 05:19 AM
gb

"Bob Sawyer" wrote in message
I just bought a very old, vertical antenna. The ant. is aluminum and
very corroded.

Is this just a cosmetic problem, or will the corrosion affect the
radiation/reception of RF?

Since the insulation on wire antennas doesn't affect their
effectiveness, I'm thinking the corrosion wouldn't be a problem; but my
working-class logic has gotten me in trouble before. G

Will painting an aluminum antenna decrease it's effectiveness, or not
matter?

Thanks

Bob -

If you wish to clean the aluminum - lye (NaOH) is often used - however this
is a caustic agent - and usual precautions should be used if you use this
approach. There are also aluminum cleaners available at your local auto
supply stores.

Although some amateur use steel wool pads -- this can leave steel slivers on
the aluminum tubing that can oxidize (rust) - I refer non metallic scrubbing
pads if you need some elbow grease.

w9gb