Old July 6th 04, 11:33 AM
No Spam

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:31:54 UTC, Doug wrote:

On 1 Jul 2004 06:42:36 -0700, (N2EY) wrote:

Wayne was and is full of it.

Even if that isn't a factor, the weird, useless stuff that people
collect, pottery, knick-knacks, wood furniture, carvings, Hummels,
and so on, if an HT-32B appreciates as much as that stuff, it would
be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

But it won't because the market for an HT-32B is far smaller.

I think most "collectors" only collect what the appraisers and
antique sales people tell them to collect. Watch a few episodes of
the antique shows on PBS. That junque is genuinely weird.

Compare it to a fine HQ-150 or a Johnson Valiant.

Wayne Green has gotten too much credit - mainly from his own self
promotion.

Incentive licensing hardly killed off Amatuer radio or the
manufactorers of the time.

In the early 1960's, Wayne predicted that there would be lots of
Japanese hams. When I got on 15 meters as a novice. I was running
a DX-60 with one 15 meter novice crystal and a ZL-special. I used
to work pile ups of JA stations all running 10 watts or some other
strangely low power. It suggested to me that they had an entry
license, perhaps comparable to our Novice that gave them 10 or maybe
it was 15 watts of CW.

I figured that Wayne was right and that the same "hook" that got me
fiddling with antennas, peering into the chassis of my SX-101A
trying to get a little more ooomph out of it, got them too.

I ended up an assembly language and PL/I programmer doing MVS
internals, telecommunications using TCAM, TSO internals.

Later when Japanese electronics took over, I figured that the same
fellows who I worked on 15 meters were now electrical engineers.
That was what Wayne predicted in his rambling editorials in 73
magazine.