Old September 8th 05, 12:20 PM
Scott

Scothbrite pads seem to work great for cleaning off oxidation from
aluminum...when reassembling the joints, one can use penetrox (as
someone else mentioned) or alnox, both should be available at electrical
supply outlets.

Scott
N0EDV

gb wrote:

"Bob Sawyer" wrote in message

I just bought a very old, vertical antenna. The ant. is aluminum and
very corroded.

Is this just a cosmetic problem, or will the corrosion affect the
radiation/reception of RF?

Since the insulation on wire antennas doesn't affect their
effectiveness, I'm thinking the corrosion wouldn't be a problem; but my
working-class logic has gotten me in trouble before. G

Will painting an aluminum antenna decrease it's effectiveness, or not
matter?

Thanks

Bob -

If you wish to clean the aluminum - lye (NaOH) is often used - however this
is a caustic agent - and usual precautions should be used if you use this
approach. There are also aluminum cleaners available at your local auto
supply stores.

Although some amateur use steel wool pads -- this can leave steel slivers on
the aluminum tubing that can oxidize (rust) - I refer non metallic scrubbing
pads if you need some elbow grease.

w9gb