Old July 7th 04, 01:40 PM
COLIN LAMB

Hi Terry:

I think your idea of using the 6SN7 is better than the '54 QST article. The
6SN7 makes a great product detector with 1/2 as the bfo. Not a lot of work.
Audio might be a bit low, but you can cheat and use a transistor audio
preamp powered by the cathode voltage developed by the audio output stage as
a voltage source. I used a similar arrangement in an ARC-5. Just do not
tell any of the diehards that you have a transistor buried under the deck or
they will take you out of their will.

Re-inventing the wheel is not all bad

73, Colin K7FM

---