Old July 8th 04, 03:23 AM
Mike Andrews

No Spam No wrote:

Recently, I've heard two stories from that era, one is that at the
end of the war, they stacked up KWM-2's and R-390As, and ran tanks
over them.

I _SAW_ the folks at the Osan AB MARS shack tossing R-390s or R-390As
into a dumpster in October 1969, when I was outprocessing at the end
of a TDY. They told me I could have as many as I wanted, but my hold
baggage was on its way back to Camp Drake already.

The other story is that there are cache's in Vietnam with
KWM-2s wrapped in plastic and buried.

A friend was in charge of the Army program to teach ARVN troops to
operate KWM-2 rigs; I'll ask him what he knows about that.

I don't know if either story is true.

They're both consonant with what I saw.

I have a nice collection of boat anchors and hope to restore them to
their glory, to be used, not to sit on the shelf, as "shelf queens".

I'm trying to get a collection of R-390As going again. It's ...
interesting.

I don't have a lot of time to work on the radios. I'm trying to
earn enough money to retire some time.

BTDTGTTS. Didn't like it; I'm back where I retired, because I don't
like sitting still.

I got my novice license at 15 and passed the general at 16. Two
other guys and I took the bus down the the FCC because none of us
had a driver's license. We all passed. I still remember the
snippits of the code, it was a ship talking to the harbor. One
minute solid out of five, 13 consecutive words. That was the rule.
I don't get this new style exam.

Second Phone at 16, Novice at 17.

--
Mike Andrews