Old September 9th 05, 11:33 AM

K4YZ wrote:
nobodys_old_friend wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:

why should polygamy be banned? why for that matter
shoudl polyandry be banned?

Let's start of with inability to support the extended family for
one.

Why would that be a concern? We don't prevent people from having
lots of kids they cannot afford.

Many if not most families-with-children I know have all the adults
working outside the home. Having more adults available
would make things easier, not harder.

The number one problem in polygamy-prone communities is abject
poverty.

But is that due to the polygamy, or due to other factors such as
rejection by the mainstream culture?

Follow that with chronic medical problems associated with in-
breeding.

That's a problem caused by marrying too-close relatives, not
polygamy or polyandry.

The reason such arrangements are against the law is that our
society has decided to define "marriage" as one woman and one man
joined in a legally-sanctioned way, protected by the laws of the
various levels of government.

There's nothing to prevent a multi-spouse arrangement, as long as
those involved don't demand government sanction and protection.

I am sure the "evil religious people" he was refring to were the
Founding Fathers who took it upon themselves to put ambiguous language
about "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution, however
liberally sprinkle "relgion" throughout the political process.

Where?

Most of the Founders were Deists. They also cherished religious liberty
and did not want churches to be supported by tax dollars.

73 de Jim, N2EY