Old September 10th 05, 12:36 AM
Yodar

duke wrote:
I was just made the recipient of a B600, with the 6A41 chassis. It's
in great shape, and as it was a gift from dear friends, you can imagine
my joy. I want to fire it up, but I don't want to burn out anything.
Any tips for first juice? I don't have any special equipment beyond a
multimeter. Also, it appears that either there is some odd factory
option (I doubt) or a mod made to add an additional speaker. Has a
jack that is mounted to the side and a pot inside the box. It was
nicely done if aftermarket, but does anyone know if this could be an
original option? Thanks for the help.
duke

These old radios suffer from failed (leaky) electrolytic capacitors in
the power supply.

Start at a low AC voltage with a VARIAC and with the radio ON urge the
variac voltage upwards slowly and if you hear a hum, a LOUD hum in the
speaker, shut it down and plan on replacing all large electrolytics,
especially the multi-section caps.

Look for melted wax from coupling capacitors. Replace them immediatemente!

Then after you do that, try again and if successful, expect to replace
smaller caps, micas, coupling and decoupling caps, and hopefully you
will eventually get pure DC where it's supposed to be and pure RF where
IT's supposed to be.

I did this once or twice and it's more than a two six-pack job.

Plan on weeks!

Yodar