Old September 10th 05, 02:23 PM
Robert Lay (W9DMK)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:46:24 -0400, "larry" wrote:

greetings...

I have been a ham since the mid 60's and the main antenna of choice appears
to be dipole... However, over the past few months, or so, I have been
reading more and more about this loop antenna.....

I am reasonable sure I can get more information about it so I won't bore you
with how to build one, etc, .. my question is more of why or how... Why has
this antenna become so popular over the past little while and how did it get
this popularity....What charateristics, besides seemingly not needing as
much geography to need to put up, does this antenna have that make is so
appealing?

I might consider it...for 80 or 40...

Larry ve3fxq

Depending upon the size of the loop in wavelengths and depending upon
where in the geometry it is fed and depending upon its height, it
might very well be a good cloud warmer - in which case it would
probably give excellent performance in the immediate area (as opposed
to DX).

People that I QSO with on 75 seem to do very, very well with loop
antennas in the evening over a range of up to 500 - 700 mi.