Old September 10th 05, 02:15 PM
K4YZ

K4YZ wrote:

In fact, it has become common for people to have multiple
spouses, just not simultaneously. There was a time when
divorce carried an enormous social stigma and was made
legally difficult in most places. That's all changed.

Yes, it has...and it shouldn't have, but then that's a trade-off to
civility that we surrendered for the "Sexual Revolution" in the 60's.

However Christian principles were the
basis for most of thier beliefs and were codified into early
American law.

The polygamist folks you mention are all Christians.

Those particular ones are...Well..let me ammend that to say they
CLAIM they are...

Not Muslims, Jews, pagans, agnostics, Wiccans or atheists.

Do you know of any nonChristian groups in the USA advocating polygamy,
Steve?

Not off the top of my head, Jim, but then even if there were, my
response would be the same.

The main obstacles to simultaneous-multi-spouse arrangements that I can
see a

- Peer/societal pressure
- Personal preference of most people regardless of religion
- It's tough enough for two people to get along in a marriage (how many
US marriages end in divorce?). How are three or more
supposed to make it work?

I'm not saying that polygamy or polyandry or any other
multi-simultaneous-spouse situation should be legal or illegal. All I'm
saying is that the laws governing marriage are not so much derived from
"Christian" principles as they are derived from
society's overall concept of family structure, regardless of religion.

You still side-stepped the poverty issue, Jim.

And yes, laws governing marriage and the structure of the basic
family unit in THIS country were derived from Christian principles.
American History 101 refers.

73

Steve, K4YZ