Old September 12th 05, 05:30 AM
Mike Coslo

K4YZ wrote:
wrote:

K4YZ wrote:

nobodys_old_friend wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

wrote:

why should polygamy be banned? why for that matter
shoudl polyandry be banned?

Let's start of with inability to support the extended family for
one.

Why would that be a concern? We don't prevent people from having
lots of kids they cannot afford.

How many families of 20 or more children do you know of in
Pennsylvania, Jim?

Many if not most families-with-children I know have all the adults
working outside the home. Having more adults available
would make things easier, not harder.

But these guys don't LET the women work...They are expected to
stay at home and multiply...Period.

The number one problem in polygamy-prone communities is abject
poverty.

But is that due to the polygamy, or due to other factors such as
rejection by the mainstream culture?

Uhhhhhhhhhh.........How many families with more than three or four
kids do you know of that "lives well", Jim?

Follow that with chronic medical problems associated with in-
breeding.

That's a problem caused by marrying too-close relatives, not
polygamy or polyandry.

Most of the polygamy colonies in Utah are fiercely close and shun
outsiders, Jim. Where's the fresh DNA come from?

The reason such arrangements are against the law is that our
society has decided to define "marriage" as one woman and one man
joined in a legally-sanctioned way, protected by the laws of the
various levels of government.

And part of the reason they have done this is to prevent
intra-family breeding.

There's nothing to prevent a multi-spouse arrangement, as long as
those involved don't demand government sanction and protection.

Common sense and the health and welfare of the children will
prevent it, Jim.

I am sure the "evil religious people" he was refring to were the
Founding Fathers who took it upon themselves to put ambiguous language
about "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution, however
liberally sprinkle "relgion" throughout the political process.

Where?

Start with your folding money.

Most of the Founders were Deists. They also cherished religious liberty
and did not want churches to be supported by tax dollars.

As well they shouldn't. However Christian principles were the
basis for most of thier beliefs and were codified into early American
law.

Who among them could have foretold the silliness that prevails in
today's "religious" pursuits?

Bingo! It is no exaggeration to note that the biggest atheists here in
the US are almost all filled to the gills with "Christian Values". We
all have to have some sort of values, save for the rare and sick few.

And there is nothing wrong with most of those values. The ten
commandments? A lot of that is good stuff. We better not stand too hard
on that "covet thy neighbors goods stuff, tho'. And "not having any
other God before me" kind of makes it a problem to post it in the
courthouse.

We are what we are, and our heritage is where it comes from.

I suppose that it is a great comfort to many people to "know" just how
things are supposed to be, and to have great faith in that "knowing".
But the faithful have had a long and storied history of depriving others
of what they believe is their own faith's fundamental rights.

- Mike KB3EIA -