Old September 13th 05, 01:28 AM
Dave Heil

Sure, they can nibble at the ham bands. But there's not much spectrum
to be had from them below 400 MHz. All of 6, 2 and 220 only adds up to
about two TV channels.

What you're really seeing is a push to end NTSC TV transmissions, and
go to DTV exclusively.

IMHO

Even out here in the sticks, I've been watching mostly digital or HDTV
for about two years. All of the Pittsburgh area stations are now
broacasting in at least DTV. One of the 'local' stations has one
channel of HDTV and a digital, full-time weather channel (the other
local is broadcasting DTV with only about 30w and doesn't have enough
signal to get here). My West Virginia PBS station is simulcasting three
DTV/HDTV "channels" and Ohio PBS from Cambridge is set up for five
DTV/HDTV "channels".

The difference between the analog and HDTV sigs is as great as seeing
your first color TV set after years of black and white viewing.

Congress needs to get moving on this thing. They've already moved the
cutover date at least once.

Dave K8MN