Old September 14th 05, 02:29 AM
Richard Harrison

Bill Turner wrote:
"Without more information, this comparison is flawed."

I agree the information was incomplete. I dfid not reproduce the whole
article. The fault was mine, not Phil`s. A low dipole has a high
radiation angle. For comparison, Phil was working Airstream net stations
in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New England.
Phil was located in Ontario near Buffalo, New York when he collected his
data. His in-laws lived there. Phil`s home QTH at the time was the
highest spot in Western Connecticut, with a line-of-sight path to New
York City. Phil had surrounded his mountain top with rhombic antennas
pointed toward his likely targets. Amateurs answered when he called.

In the Airstream net, most of the contacts were made Sundays on 3963 kHz
at 8 am local time. Sky wave was mostly near vertical incidence. The low
dipole was good for the job. Not too directional and a lot of radiation
nearly straight up. Phil noted that several times when he switched to
to the mobile whip, he could not be heard through the QRM.

The numbers Phil put in Table 3 are only true under the conditions
prevailing when he made the checks.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI