Old September 14th 05, 12:27 AM
Marshall Goldblatt

Default How to weather-seal an upside down Tailtwister rotor?

Hello all,

I have a Tailtwister (TX-2) rotor mounted on a Rohn 25 foldover tower.
While the tower itself appears to have survived intact, hurricane
Katrina snapped the mast and destroyed the antennas. I need to fold the
tower over to work in it, and likely leave it folded over for a fairly
extended period. This will leave the top of the tower and the rotor
upside down. Unfortunately, it is still the rainy season here, and the
last time I needed to do this, rain water got into the rotor and settled
in the bell, causing rust and other corrosion damage inside the rotor,
because it is only weather protected when it is upright. I would like
to seal the rotor to prevent this from happening again, but none of the
ideas I've had so far (wrapping it in plastic garbage bags, using duct
tape, using sealing foam) are usable, either because they don't seal
well enough to keep water out or because stuff may get up inside the
rotor where I can't get it out.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

73, Marshall - W4EMB