Old August 14th 04, 02:04 AM
Uncle Peter

wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. com...
I am in need of a tuning eye tube, 6U5/6G5 used ok if it works ,State
price.. Thanks Harold W4PQW

Thanks, all, I have a tube now. 73 Harold W4PQW

The 6E5 is a drop-in for the 6U5; the only difference being the
eye sensitivity to grid voltages. One tube was designed for
sharp cutoff tubes, the other better matched remote cutoff
characteristics. Using a 6E5 (which is much cheaper) gives a
busier eye display. The other option is to build a tube adapter
so the 12-volt 1629 eye tube can be used--- a Google search
will lead to several webpages detailing the specifics for
building the adapters.

Be thankful the set didn't use a 6T5, used in two model years
for some very desirable Zeniths. Darn things are going for
a few hundred each in NOS condition,

Pete