Old September 17th 05, 10:28 PM
Roy Lewallen

Jerry Martes wrote:
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

I think it should be more like 3 dB, but hadn't said anything until I had
a chance to model it. The quarter wave stub doesn't radiate significantly,
so it can be ignored. A half wavelength element should have about 1.5 dB
gain over a quarter wave. Two of them would give another 3 dB if it
weren't for mutual coupling, but the mutual coupling of collinear elements
reduces the gain to about 1.5 dB over a single element. (See for example
Fig. 39 on p. 8-35 of the ARRL Antenna Book, 20th Edition; look up
Collinear, Gain and directivity in the index of other editions; or model
it with your favorite program.)

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Thanks Roy

Your posts always add alot to my understanding. I appreciate your taking
time to evaluate this antenna and then pass the information on to the group.

Jerry

I'm sorry, I see I wasn't clear in saying that I haven't yet had a
chance to model it. There might be a flaw in my reasoning, and the
antenna might have more gain than I think. I'll try to get to it as soon
as I can -- unless someone else wants to take it on. But I'm extremely
busy just now.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL