Old September 20th 05, 04:18 PM

Default New home has Housewide stereo, what do I need?

My wife and I just bought a home with a housewide stereo system which
the previous owner says is "plug in play"- not sure if that is more
than just marketing. The basement has three Bose amplifiers which run
to speakers in several rooms. Each room has a Bose volume control, and
some rooms have input/output jacks which the owner said are for things
like a cd player but not a stereo.

I "think" I need a pre-amp to plug my DVD player, Direct Tv, etc into.
And if I understand this stuff correctly, I need to scrap my receiver
and if I want FM the I need a "tuner"? But that FM is less important.

Do I sound on track? And if so, can you recommend a decent preamp at
an affordable price (preferably below $200, please don't laugh).
Brett