Old September 22nd 05, 03:11 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 15:59:09 -0700, wrote in
. com:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

Doubtful. Morse code is the simplest and most univeral method of radio
communication, but is hardly limited to radio -- don't forget that it
was invented for -wire- telegraphy. It has also been used extensively
with optical and other types of communication. It has existed since
before radio was invented, continues to exist outside the sphere of
radio, and certainly won't die if it's abandoned as a requirement for
radio. But as long as Morse code exists, radio operators will continue
to use it.

Now that's not an argument either for or against the dropping of the
code requirement. Like I said before, it's no big deal. And like I
also said before, what -IS- a big deal is the dumbing down of the
written test. I still don't understand why there is so much bitching
(from both sides) about the code test yet almost no discussion about
the 'memory' test. Anyone care to explain that?

Frank, I thought that you weren't a ham?

I'm not.

I've been tempted for years to get my license so I can play around on
160m and UHF (nothing else sounds particulary interesting).

I like 10M. It can be local or around the world.

Some hams refer to it as the "kiddie band" because Techs could use
phone there.

But from
what I have seen of ham radio in the past few years I don't really
like it. Some hams seem to be absorbed in the electronics while others
are into gab sessions; yet few hams are able to grasp the duality of
'radio communications'. And many hams think their amateur status is
the defining characteristic of their existence. Heck, I was a BE for
almost ten years but I don't advertise that fact on a T-shirt and
baseball cap, or sign my name with a "B.E." at the end.

Biological Evaluation?

I thought ham radio was supposed to be a recreational pursuit, not a
religion or political ideology.

For some it's even a pathology.

But from what I see, it seems as if
getting a license means you have to choose sides and fight a heated
battle for what I would expect to be a HOBBY!!!

Those days are numbered. Only the smoldering embers remain.