Old September 22nd 05, 03:26 AM

Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
K=D8HB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

How we gonna connect the nation at 700 MHz?

Hi Mike,

The article had nothing to do with "connecting the nation". It has to =

do with
regional interoperability, the very thing that Katrina aftermath found =

largely
inadequate.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans, as a retired CPO, you know as well as anybody else that
interoperability of any service is a problem. Recall Grenada where a
grunt used his Sprint calling card on a commercial line to call the
Pentagon and request an Air Force air-strike on a target.

Good grief! It's not just about grunts dying anymore.

You'd think after 09/11/2001 we'd have fast-tracked this stuff!

This is what has me worried. If a new Whiz-bang system is going to
work, it has to connect the whole nation. When New Orleans is under
water, they don't just need to talk to the locals, they need to get word
out to the whole country - or at least the parts that can send help.

We used an expression in the service, "Train like you fight, fight like
you train."

Why can't this interoperable communications system be something that
they are using -everyday- instead of something sitting on a shelf
awaiting the next emergency, trying to find the one smart guy that can
remember how to make it work?

And since we don't know where the next disaster will strike, that means
the whole country needs to be in the picture.

No big picture thinkers need apply?

- Mike KB3EIA -

True enough. I work in government and find that it lacks qualified
leaders and/or those without vision. FWIW, I'd prefer if no academics
applied either. They're big on ideas, short on just about everything
else.