Old September 22nd 05, 02:39 PM
Michael Lawson

"Michael" wrote in message

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM

R75.
Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can

probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

I can honestly say I own neither, but from having
seen the discussions on r.r.s before about those
two, the IC-R75 is good value for the money, but
the R8B (and the AOR 7030+) are better in absolute
terms.

Mike, I dont agree with you. I think the R75 is a better radio

for
DX'ing
then the R8B. Just because the R75 cost WAY less then the R8B,

it
dosent
have to mean that the R75 dosent perform better then the R8B.

I've
used
both radios and the R75 was better for resolving difficult DX.

When I talk absolute terms, I don't mean DX only.
I meant essentially a radio that can do it all, and
where the radios rank there. Discounting both
you and Ace as the two ends of the spectrum,
the consensus seems to be that the R8B is the
better overall radio, but the R75 is a good radio
overall for the price point. If you can live without
a great stock sync, the R75 is a good radio.

--Mike L.

Mike, I think your commentary is fair, but you haven't stated that

the R75
is a better DX'ing radio. Many people that have used both radios

including
myself prefer the R75 to the R8B for DX'ing because it does a better

job
resolving very weak and messy DX. That's not brand loyalty, that is

user
proven fact. Add to that, the R75 is a very good radio for program
listening. The criticisms with the R75's stock AM synch and audio

section
are WAY over worked. Even if it is unmodified, with an external

speaker, the
R75 is perfectly adequate for program listening. The criticisms

with the
R75's stock AM synch and audio section are WAY over worked. In my

opinion,
that makes the R75 the better ultimate value and the WAY better

value for
dollar.

Ah, but the reason why I can't is because I haven't
personally listened to them both side by side. I
can only go on what people here and elsewhere
(such as on eham.net or dxing-info or other places)
have said, and it seems that in overall terms, the
R8B is the better of the two.

Hey, if someone wants to give me a couple to
work with, I'm game; right now, I'm a bit pressed
for funds for something like that.

--Mike L.