Old September 22nd 05, 08:58 PM
Steve Nosko

Roy,
I'd appreciate your further comment on this. I 'know', from history,
that the spacing of two collinear half waves in phase affects the gain and
that there is an optimum spacing for gain that places the two collinear
elements apart (not close enough for a 1/4 wave shorted stub to be used for
a common feed). I had theorized that this "optimum" spacing results in the
most compressed lobe (without excessive secondary lobe formation) which is
simply due to the far-field phase summation of the two elements radiation.
Is this different than the mutual coupling to which you refer, or is this
another effect?

73, Steve, K;9.D,C'I

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Jerry Martes wrote:

I'd have expected the "gain" to be closer to 4 1/2 db over the 1/4

wave
stub over a ground. is it easy to show where i've missed something?

I think it should be more like 3 dB, but hadn't said anything until I
had a chance to model it. ...
Roy Lewallen, W7EL