Old September 23rd 05, 06:11 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote

No because the project emphasizes AM, an old spectrum-hog mode
which ought to have been retired about 1965.

Why? AM is a legal mode, with advantages and disadvantages.

AM is a relic, inefficient in it's use of spectrum, and inefficient in it=

's use
of power (only half of the transmitted power contains intelligence and ha=

lf of
that half is discarded at the receiver!).

And they don't have no twin vfos or memories or autotuners and even
worse they don't have no ears at all . . WTF . .??!

One of the key elements of the spirit of experimentation in
something "different" is not being constrained by what is
considered electropolitically correct.

I don't know WTF the phrase "electropolitically correct" is even supposed=

mean.

Besides, the Class E technology can be adapted to
a variety of modes.

Yes, it certainly can. Which makes it all the more puzzling that they'd
showcase it with a doddering old mode like AM. Class E is technolog=

ically
interesting, and kind of "electro-sexy". Showcasing it in an "AM suit" is
equivalent to showcasing Jessica Simpson in a fully secured HAZMAT suit.

Incidentally, the technology is a little older than Jessica. See "Class-=

E, A
New Class of High-Efficiency Tuned, Single-Ended Switching Power Amplifie=

rs",
IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol SC-10, June 1975, pp. 168-=

175.

Yea verily, I heard about class E beaucoup years ago and Googled it,
found the link to that paper but since I'm not an IEEE member I wasn't
allowed access to it.

Beep beep

DIT. =20

de Hans, K0HB