Old September 23rd 05, 03:34 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:21:24 GMT, Bob Miller wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:10:17 -0400, Walter Maxwell
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:36:35 -0700, "Rod Maupin" wrote:

I was born in '59, so I didn't know any of this. Very interesting. Thanks
for posting it.

Rod KI7CQ

Glad you guys find my posting of interest, and since you do, I'll have a coupla
more coming.

Walt, W2DU

I have no experience with Beverage antennas, but 4000 miles for what
had to be a not very powerful Japanese station at 650 khz sounds
pretty good.

Bob
k5qwg

Bob, the Beverage wasn't used for its ability to receive weak signals, but for
it's capability of rejecting the unwanted signals, KFI in LA in this case.
Terminating the long wire of a Beverage makes it a traveling-wave antenna, in
contrast to the usual standing-wave antenna. Consequently, with the termination
at the end opposite to the direction of the unwanted signal, the unwanted signal
travels to terminating end and is dissipated there. Because the resistive
termination is equal to the Zo of the antenna the unwanted signal is dissipated
with no reflection. Therefore the receiver doesn't see the unwanted signal.

Walt