Old September 23rd 05, 11:02 AM
Paul Rubin

VK4AKP writes:
Currently there is finally firmware being developed for the Kam XL Dual
port DSP TNC range!.

This is great news for those who don't wish to rely on PC / Sound Card
hardware to run this mode, finally there will be a small black box
solution!.

Cool. I wonder why nobody builds this stuff directly into radio
tranceivers.

What I really want is a portable PSK31 tranceiver with an alphanumeric
keypad, 4 line (or so) LCD text display, AA battery pack, all the
PSK31 modulation/demodulation stuff, and all the RF stuff in a single
box, no computer needed. I'm imagining something about the size of an
FT817 and reasonably rugged. It could be single band, like 20 meters,
and it would of course have a computer port for when a computer was
available. That would be a way to have fairly reliable DX portable
communications without resorting to satellites.

I wonder why nobody makes anything like this, or builds the feature
into FT817-class radios. I'm sure there'd be demand for it.